Living in Korea

Hi everyone! Just wanted to create this blog site so you all could keep up to date on my most recent adventures. This is the perfect way to let all my family and friends see exactly what I'm doing here in Korea. Hope you enjoy!

Friday, October 20, 2006

Fun Fun English Festival

Hey Everyone! So this week was my first English festival. I'm told that there will be many of these throughout the year. When I first heard of it I didn't think it was going to be as big as a deal as it was. Over 3000 elementary and Middle school students were invited to come participate. They were suppose to be the more advanced students of their schools. But like i've come to learn that doesn't always mean they know a lot of english.


Like I said before it ended up being a bigger deal than I thought. When I first arrived there was a huge band playing outside and 3 or 4 huge white outdoor tents sent up.
It started with an opening ceremony where all the principals of the schools were introduced, followed by skits preformed by some students. The Mayor also was there to address everyone. The funny part about the whole thing was it was all in Korean, they didn't even translate. So here they are saying how important english is in their education program but not even the english teachers said anything in english. But it's something I've gotten use to with some of my co-teachers who understand little. The problem is that most korean english teachers don't go abroad so they speak broken english.
But it was a fun day off getting to interact with many students. I also was able to meet more foreign teachers which was nice.
Speaking of new foreign teachers I finally met one that works in my town! So now i'm not the only one. He works at the language institute across the street from me. So it will be nice to know someone in town.
Ok well i'm off but I hope you're all doing well and will talk soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home